Thursday 25 May 2006

Officially a year

With reference to this previous blog of mine - a month into london , I think it's time to review it once more. As of 24th May 2006, I've now been living in the UK for a year.

Here's my review from last's year's:
Now a month year into London, so what's it about that I'm missing from home? Family and friends excluded as they have always been missed.

  1. Radio Stations & Music Variety - There's alot more black music here, not that I have anything against them. They are nice.
    I take that back. I love the music stations here! I think there are lesser radio commercials too! Cool! But I do miss hearing chinese songs over the radio back home.

  2. My PC & broadband! - I miss stoning in front of my PC in the wee hours doing nothing! Hahaha!
    No doubt about this still! Though I do that here but it's just not the same as back home!

  3. Shopping - It's so much cheaper back home!!!!
    Correction: Things back home are getting more expensive. You can get things cheap if you know where to find here. But I think Bugis area is getting greater than before to shop back home. I like it there still.

  4. Authentic Asian Food - I MISS nasi padang!!!! Pineapple rice!!! Some chinese food here don't even taste nor look chinese!!
    You betcha! I want my nasi padang still!!!

  5. MRT & SBS/buses - I miss the aircon and speed. It's stuffy in the transport here when the weather gets hot. It's much cheaper back home too!!!
    The tube/transport system here practically sucks especially during the weekends, what to do since it's been a really old system. Way back...

  6. Fruits - Much cheaper! So much more! I want my papaya!
    Exotic fruits like pineapple and papaya and yes, watermelon are rare here, you'll be surprised! And they cost!

  7. Bed & Pillows & Bloaster - I MISS my baby bloaster!
    *sobs* But I have my own room now! So yippy!

  8. Beaches(Sentosa) & East Coast Park - I MISS Sentosa which had been at my expanse! I MISS all the blading at ECP!

  9. Playgrounds - There's one in every estate/neighbourhood you turn into back home! It's hard to find a decent one here! I wanna play on the swing!

  10. Weather - Though the weather can be stinking hot back home, but it's always summer all year round, just 2 seasons - rainy and non-rainy. I kinda miss those stormy weather at times, especially in the mornings! Snugging beneath my warm blanky with me baby bloaster! I miss the consistence in weather too albeit the fact that I do enjoy the different seasons here. Think I like it here in late Spring - early Autumn. Winter? No thank you. And dang, it's never even snowed here, real snow! None. I must make sure I get to try snowboarding out this time round! Hmm... Come to think of it, this year's Spring is really late. Last year this time, the trees would all be green and full, now those outside my house are still pretty bare, not as full blown as last year's. Oh dear...


Ah, but there must be stuffs here that I'm enjoying and liking! You betcha!


  1. Cherries & Strawberries - It's their season!! Much cheaper too! YUMMY!!!
    You only get those in Spring mostly. It's nice, I'm finally able to taste fresh cherries and strawberries again :) Just had one minutes ago.

  2. Pastry, Cakes, Cookies, Desserts! - Simply heaven! Yummylicious! Wide choices! I simply LOVE the carrort cake at one of the cafe at Sloane Square!!!
    ARGH! I've put on 5kg since last year! I'm horrible! No. THEY are horrible! They can't do this to me!!! (They meaning the desserts, etc.) BTW Krispy Kreme Donuts are the BEST donuts one could ever have in life!

  3. Marks & Spencer - LOVE it though not cheap! The food! The sandwiches! Best!
    No doubt M&S is good, but I've found pleasures in the other supermart/sandwich shops here like Waitrose, Pret A Manger, Eat, Fresh & Wild, etc. Yeah! Sandwich here rules!

  4. Fashion - Dress as you like! So much more shops, varieties, choices! So much much more! Men here dress up more too! Cool~
    I love looking at people's dressing here! They really good at it! And the guys are so cute here. Hee hee... my eyes are going ga ga... ha ha!

  5. People - All sorts: weird, funny, scary, cute, charming, cool, interesting, shocking, rude, good, etc. Different mixtures, more than Singapore!
    Yeah, it's fun meeting all sorts! And I have really great new colleagues, and I still keep in touch with the ex-colleagues too. I've been hanging out with them, new or old. And housemates too. Making new friends too. So it's been really keeping me busy.

  6. MTVs - Yeah and certain shows too, like Will & Grace, SATC, both sexually hilarious.
    Unfortunate to say, I don't have those to watch anymore since last July. But I like some of the local programmes/documentaries. Little Britian's wicked! And the cartoons too! A pity the TV in my room has died on me. So goodbye to Mr. TV!

  7. Supermarkets & Sandwiches - Too many choices!
    Yes, refer to #3. I've never had such a hard time with deciding which sandwich or bread to get. I'm spoilt for choices! Wraps are great too! *beams*

  8. SALES/Shopping - Only time when things cost cheaper : sales!
    Definately! H&M, Primark, they have been filling my wardrobe. A nice dress at H&M range from £15 (approx. S$45) onwards. That's cheap! But wait... wait till you've heard about Primark! Imagine a pair of shoes for as cheap as £6 (approx. S$18 ), a nice necklace from £1.50 (approx. S$4.50), bags from as cheap as £3 (S$9). Heaven! TK Maxx is another killer too! I try not to get in there and stay away from it as far as I can. However, I gotten my fav. Miss Sixty jeans there at slightly less than £20 (approx. S$60! Imagine you get those for S$300 at least from the boutique!) Now I'm just waiting for the sales to come. I've been spending too much in 2005! I'm now trying real hard to save and not spend too much so that I can go travel more. So far it's been.. hmm I better not say. Let's just put it that I've managed to get to Italy, Paris and Vienna to date in 2006. (I've not spent money on shopping in those countries! WOW! Amazing! How unlike me!) Also planning a holiday or 2 or 3 to look forward to in June/July/August.

  9. (Flea) Markets, Museums, Parks - Awesome! I'm fascinated by Richmond Park.
    The markets about Liverpool street area (Spitalfields, Petticoat Lane) I love! Haven't been to the museums much, perhaps I should look into that. Next garden/park on my list must be the Kew Gardens! I need to find someone to come along with me then. Tsk tsk...

  10. Stockings & Boots - Good for the cooler weather. Woo lala! I'm gonna wear those!
    It's cool to be able to wear boots here! And nice stockings/leggings too! I wanna get more boots when the cooler weather comes again. For now I'm happy to have summer come upon the cold UK once more! I wanna go about in short skirts/shorts wearing flip flops! Don't wanna put on winter clothes! Figured I had enuff of those! Had enuff of the cold as well!!!

  11. Movies - I have always enjoy going to the cinema, just don't like paying for the extortions that's all. However now that's changed! A few of us from work have gathered and form The Cinema Club, where we go watch movies a few times together every month. We all signed up for this Unlimited Movie Pass, for just £13.99 (approx. S$42) per month we can watch as many movies as we want to! That's absolutely freaking fabulous! Woo hoo! In April alone I dare say I've been to 6 movies already! Be it alone or with colleagues. Now dig this! That's what I call a great bargain! It's even better than the Singapore Film Society I'd join back home.

  12. Clubbing - I love the clubbing scene here! It rocks! Much better music and crowd as compared to back home. However alot of people do drugs here in the clubs, so that bit I HATE! Drugs and drinking here are really a very big problem. Smoking too. Very bad, but music's great! Can't complain to that. Haha... I love Fabric (a club in London)! There're a number of other nice ones as well. Many.


So there you go! I dare say I'm still having a great time here, other than the darn HOT weather otherwise perfect. (It's hardly been very HOT the past year. Hope 2006's summer will be better than last year's) Gimme a few more months before asking me once more. *Grinz* I must say that I really am having a fantastic time back here again after starting on my second new job after 2 weeks break from home in March. Though work's getting very stressful and busy lately, I'm hanging on and trying to keep cool.

Think I'm definately gonna miss my life here in UK when I do go home some day. We'll just see how things go then. *smiles* In the meantime, I'm gonna make whatever time I have here well spent. You bet!