Monday 23 August 2004

flop

flop

n
1: someone who is unsuccessful;
2: a complete failure;
3: the act of throwing yourself down; "he landed on the bed with a great flop"

adv
1: with a flopping sound; "he tumbled flop into the mud"
2: exactly; "he fell flop on his face"

v
1: fall loosely; "He flopped into a chair"
2: fall suddenly and abruptly;
3: fail utterly; collapse;



That's it! FLOP! That's what I did, that's how I felt. Really landed myself with a great flop, really fell flop on my face, a complete flop. Im utterly flopped! Flop flop flopping flopped.. hmm.. can that be tune into a flopping song? Tsk tsk...

While I was checking another email account which I hardly use last nite. I saw an email from Ocean Butterfly Music [OB Music], they are recruiting people to take up some kinda post in their company. The closing date was 23rd Aug '04, 12pm. I took a quick glance at my pc's calendar. It read 23rd Aug, 2004, 12+am. And you know what ? I was so blur that I though I had already missed the closing date since it's already way past 12pm on the 23rd. I almost couldn't sleep, thinking that I had actually missed such an oportunity to work in OB Music. Anyway I decided to give it a try by sending my resume the next morning.

The very next morning [which was today] I showed Lisi the recruitment contents while lamenting that I actually missed the date. That's when you don't check your email accounts regularly. And she corrected me about my mistake. Oh dear! What a close shave for me. With that I quickly edited my resume and sent it out. At about 3.30pm, I went to check on my email account. That was when I saw a reply from OB Music saying that 23rd August was actually the last day for the interview, and I'm to be present by 6.30pm at their office. I was ecstatic! You couldn't imagine how excited and nervous I really was even after I read that. Worse, I couldn't calm myself down and kept breaking down into hot sweat until I reached the office. Hope I didn't smell. Haha. Weather had been real hot today.

*Gulps* I faced the application questionaire. Mind totally blank! Oh my god! I didn't really expected this man! It's in Traditional Chinese and I'm supposed to fill up those tough questions with Chinese, be it Traditional or Simplified Chinese. Darn! My Simplified Chinese sucks, not even to mention Traditional Chinese! So there I was trying real hard. But only ended up filling whichever question I managed to understand with English. Not a very good start I must say. When it was my turn for an interview with Billy Koh [Xu Huan Liang], that's when I really flopped big time. Oh well it's true that I'm terribly poor in reading and writing Chinese. I don't read the newspaper nor pay much attention to them. But I tried to cover up by lying that I do read the papers, but only ocasionally. Haha, guess ocasionally wasn't good enough. So he said it's really gonna be tough for me if I really wanna get into this scene. There are lots more others out there who's much better with Chinese than I. Yeah, he does make sense. What an experience. My first interview held in Mandarin. Guess being comfortable with conversing in Mandarin wasn't the key to the job here.

Anyway Billy was a nice person, it's been a pleasure being able to talk with him though the whole interview turned out pretty much a disappointment for me. Guess I shall stick with getting a job that not as involved with the Chinese scene. I better stopped embarrassing myself man. It's either I go brush up on my Chinese before trying again or go get some other job that's within my own limits. BTW a pity I didn't get to spot JJ at OB Music just now. At least I got to meet Billy, his mentor [guess so], whom got to know of my existence. Tsk tsk... Disappointment comes comfort? Oh well...