Thursday 10 August 2006

Just a Thursday

1. During Lunch Break

I was out on the streets in China Town. I left my colleague to go get me some oyster sauce while she ordered a b'day cake for her boyfriend's birthday party this coming weekend. I was stopped by some oriental guy (English refers to Indians as Asians, and we chinese as orientals or chinese, perhaps) asking for directions to chinese massage shops. He spoke really fluent (China) mandarin.

I pointed in the direction of where he might be able to find where he wants to go, but it can be tricky with the streets, but I didn't tell him about the tricky streets. I just pointed in that direction. He asked if it will cost. Dunno. Maybe at least £25-30 for one? He asked if I was from China. No. He asked if I was from Taiwan. No. He asked if I was from Hong Kong. No. He asked where was I from then. Singapore. He's from Korea. I must say I was impressed. He's tall, single eyelids, small eyes, glasses, nice smile, kinda tan, cute maybe.

Pity I had to get back to work, but first I had to find my colleague again - for she doesn't have her security pass with her to the office doors.Otherwise, who knows, I might had decided to show this korean-who-speaks-fluent-mandarin-guy where he could find the place on the tricky streets. Then I could had tried to find out more about him. How did he manage such perfect mandarin? How did he grow to be that tall? What was he doing in London? Why was he looking for a chinese massage? Questions that are not gonna be answered just because I had the excuse of work waiting for me, of course he does not know. And my colleague needs me to get into the office, and of course he does not know. I simply smiled and walked away. I let the possibility of having found yet another new friend slipped away just like that. I pictured we would hit it off pretty well, and I can speak in the comforts of my mother tongue again. Oh yeah... little miss day dreamer.



2. After Lunch Break, During Work

Emails kept shooting across amongst our screens the whole of the day non-stop. We five (or rather I) couldn't concentrate on work totally. Think everyone's in a it's-not-Thursday-but-Friday mood.

Bits of our email conversations:

ME: I once had a senior who’s absolutely nuts about Garfield. She always wears Garfield Tees to college.

Mark: You had a senior?

ME: Means I'm not in contact with her anymore. Hence the past tense - had

Mark: But that would imply that you could ‘have’ a senior?

Chrissy: Loose translation of “once knew”

Mark: So if I was referring to my old friend allan, I would say ‘I had a guy called allan’

ME: Hi my name is Angela. I come from Singapore. I speak Singlish.

I swear I nearly bursted out laughing when I read that 'I had a guy called allan'. For a moment there I believed I buried my head in my hands and gave out a silent laugh. Oh, hang on a minute, I think the burying of head was to the fact that Mark said he is using a garfield duvet cover now at home as he loves Garfield. Somebody get this guy a lollipop please?



3. Random

-- Trixy reminded me my serious crush back in polyhood whom I had nearly forgotten his existence. Garfield (nickname given by me)
-- Went to watch My Super Ex-Girldfriend after work. Great Laughs
-- Finished reading The History of Love. Nice book. Very different writing styles from what I've been used to. Reading it again to gasp it all in
-- Gotten Trixy's postcard in the mail. Cute little bears postcard. Thanks potatoe!
-- Gotten my long-await debit card, the previous one was damaged. I can draw some cash again!