Monday 22 November 2004

keeping left

You know how it is that people always like blocking the paths on the escalator here? Unlike London, whereby the left lane [think so] on the escaltors will always be left cleared for racing climbers. Yep! But that ain't the case here in Singapore. Guess we're so strong, I mean we have such a strong bonding with one another, that's why we always like to stand side by side and hog both left and right lanes on the narror escalator. All thanks to unity, you can say that again. Well, that's how we are brought up, selfish and haughty. Shame on me to say that of my fellow countryman, but I believe it's very true to a certain extent. A black sheep amongst us all make hell lots of of a big difference. Don't worry, I ain't that black one, I'm just a grey one. Haha.

We really are a 'FINE' city [as known to many]. Yep, FINE alright. Littering, fine $500. Spitting [in public], fine $500. Jaywalking, fine $50. Yeah, you get the ironic picture. In recent years, the government has been trying to educate us to be good citizens: keeping to the left side of the escalator, making the right side clear for those who wants to pass. Good thing there's no "fine" law enforced for this, otherwise it would really be such a sight. I can't bear to imagine, definately gonna make a real laughing stock to boo on. Haha...

There's posters and signs assigned near/at the escalators, saying, "Please Keep Left". I doubt anybody ever notice those [other than me]. Kinda big waste to the efforts. But I gotta take my hat off the the MRT station near my place. This morning while I was heading towards the escalator, there I saw a sign hanging on a stand by the electric stairs. It read, "Please Keep Left Unless Overtaking". Can't help but love the humour contained. Wonder what next. "No Speeding"? "Accident Area, Please Slow Down"? "Cautious, Children Crossing"? Ha ha ha.. I'm feeling so darn ticklish now. Oh my God...